What is Christmas without homemade gingerbread cookies? For me its not Christmas at all. Personally, I like the harder cookies because I love dipping them in my White Hot Chocolate! So lets get baking!
- 3/4 C butter
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C molasses
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 C flour
- 2 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon meringue powder
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 3-5 Tablespoon water
- Food coloring (Red, Green and Black)
- Preheat oven to 375º, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix together with butter, sugar and molasses.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In another bowl combine dry ingredients and mix. Add into wet ingredients and mix well.
- On a floured surface (in batches) roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut using cookie cutters of your choice and place on your line cookie sheet.
- Bake 7-10 minutes until nicely brown and sturdy.
- While the cookies are cooling, combine meringue powder, powder sugar and water in a mixing bowl.
- Using the paddle attachment and beat until smooth and matte (about 5 minutes, and more water to thin if necessary)
- Separate into different bowls: White, Red, and Green. Once mixed, place into piping bags.
Once the cookies have cooled completely, use your colors and decorate the cookies and enjoy! I hope you guys enjoy my favorite gingerbread cookies as much as I do.