One of my favorite movies because it has my favorite villains of all time. Sleeping Beauty premiered January 29, 1959. So here are some fun facts about this amazing Disney Classic.
- The running gag where the two fairies argued about what color Princess Auroras dress should be (pink or blue) comes from the filmmakers problem as to deciding just that.
- In the traditional Italian version of this fairy tale, sleeping beauty is named Princess Aurora. In the German version she is named Briar Rose. The film incorporates both names by having Princess Aurora use the name Briar Rose while under cover.
- A flamethrower was used to create the dragon’s breath sound effect for the climax for the movie. Castanets were used for the sound of the jaws snapping.
- Eric Cleworth (animator) based the dragons head movements on those of a rattlesnake about to strike.
- The Black Cauldron (1985) the only other Disney animated film shot in the format of Technirama.
- Aurora is barefoot for all but the last scene.
- This is the only Disney movie with square trees.
- This was the first Disney animated feature to be created ostensibly for the 70mm format.
Happy Birthday Sleeping Beauty thank you for creating the best villain around!