If you have ever been to Disneyland during Halloween time, you know about the Pumpkin Twists, and since Disneyland is closed at the moment, I decided to make them at home.
- 1/3 C brown sugar
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1 Tablespoon instant pectin
- 1 Tsp plus 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 C pumpkin puree
- 3 (17.3 – ounce) boxes (6 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 C sanding Sugar
- Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, and instant pectin in a medium bowl. Stir in pumpkin puree until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place one sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured, movable, flat surface, such as a lightweight cutting board. Lightly dust surface of pastry with flour and roll lightly just to smooth creases.
- Spread with 1/3 c of pumpkin mixture, stopping 1.4 in from edges.
- Roll a second sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to smooth creases: place on top of first sheet and press down gently. Repeat process two more times with remaining pastry sheets and remaining filling. Refrigerate filled pastry for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick silicone mat.
- Cut the filled pastry into 1 1/2 inch strips.
- Place strips on baking sheet spacing about 1/2 inch apart. Carefully lift strips and twists each 3 times before laying down.
- Mix together coarse sugar and remaining 1 Tbsp pumpkin spice.
- Beat egg and milk together in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush each twist with coarse sugar mixture.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to completely. Repeat process two more times.
I loved how these turned out; I need the patience to wait until they cool to eat them, but they are incredible while they are hot.