Comfort Food: Bulalo
One of my all time favorite comfort foods is Bulalo. Recently this is a dish that I have been craving and making a lot especially since it has been super cold in San Francisco. Some of you may be asking what is Bulalo? Bulalo is a Philippino beef broth dish made from beef shanks and bone marrow. It is so delicious over some rice and chili oil!
- Beef Shank/Beef short rib
- Beef Bouillon
- Baby Bok Choy
- Corn (on the cob)
- White Rice
- Chili Oil ( Zindrew Crunchy Galric Chili Oil)
- Seer the meat before putting in a GIANT pot.
- Once your meat is seer’d put it in you pot and cill with water until your meat is covered.
- Peel your onions and cut into four and place in with your meat.
- Add salt, pepper (to your liking) and beef bouillon. The sugar is optional but if you want to add it now would be the time to add about 1 Tbsp.
- Add your carrots, corn next.
- Wash , peal and cut your potatoes in four and add them into the soup.
- After about 10-15 minutes or so add in your bak choy and cabbage. Cover and let cook for about 20 more minutes.
When we serve it in my house I like to put the white rice down first and add the Bulalo on top. Personally I add a lot of broth because I love the broth. As for the corn I love dipping it in chili oil. It is so delicious, but if it not your thing, that is okay! I know the recipe is a little rough around the edges BUT in my family we don’t measure, we eyeball things and make sure to taste it frequently to know what it needs more of.
“The only time you should ever look back, is to see how far you’ve come.”
― Bangtan Boys, Butterfly